Monday, November 15, 2010

The Automobile: an essential part of life

Do you have a car?  Could you survive without it?  I recently thought about this question when I let my cousin borrow my car last weekend.  It was an interesting experience.  I never realized how much I depended on my car for things (especially on the weekend). 

A few examples where I missed my car this weekend are:  I played pick up basketball at the gym on Saturday and even though it is only a little over a mile from my apartment, I had my friend give me a ride.  I also waited until today to pick up my dry-cleaning because I didn't want to walk to the dry cleaners.  These are small things which I could definitely do if I didn't have a car, but having an automobile just seems to make life easier. 

In the early 20th century, Henry Ford's assembly line for the automobile revolutionized transportation.  Horses shortly became outdated and people became more and more accustomed to driving instead of walking.  However, I feel that unlike in the early 20th century, out society would not function without the use of the automobile as a mode of transportation. 

More information about the history of the automobile can be found here

1 comment:

  1. Kurt! I know exactly what you mean. My car was getting fixed at the beginning of the semester and I was out of luck for a week. It made me aware of how spoiled I am (and lazy). We can easily get very dependent on cars. That's why we should longboard instead.

    We must be friends because I blogged about cars too.

    http://imrhettferrin.blogspot.com/2010/11/america-on-move-automobiles.html

    ReplyDelete