Monday, September 6, 2010

Hunams - The Quest for Perfection

I have never been a huge fan of reading or even talking about literature. In fact, I've never really enjoyed reading books. However, as I get older, and hopefully more mature, I have learned to have a respect for those who have been blessed with the gift of being able to express their feelings through heartfelt passages of writing.

As I was reading Petrarch's letters to Cicero, I couldn't help but admire his word choice and the emotion he put into each word/phrase in each letter.

The passion and emotion that is portrayed by Humanist writers caused me to think about the art of professional running. Runners are able to express there passion for the sport without saying a word. There effortless stride and ability to push there bodies to the limits in my opinion is a form of art. It is a special talent to be able to push through the pain and constant screaming of your muscles who are begging you stop and rest. Running is art.

As I continued to research the art of running, I was intrigued by an article called The Evolution of Human Running (http://www.runtheplanet.com/resources/historical/runevolve.asp). Our arteries, ligaments, skin, spine, etc. all contribute to our ability to create art through running.

The human body is incredible. But just like Petrarch said to Cicero,
"What, pray, does it profit a man to teach others, and to be prating always about virtue, in high-sounding words, if he fails to give head to his own instructions?"
I would feel a little sheepish saying all of this if I didn't get out and run myself. Don't worry, I run everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Kurt, I found it even more fascinating that as Petrarch wrote these letters to Cicero (and later to Homer and St. Augustine), Cicero had died over 1200 years before. Petrarch was creating a conversation with an ancient philosopher because he believed we could find answers by challenging the ideas of those before us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ties to running. I would never have made that connection between Humanism and their literature to the art of running. It's very interesting how different we all are, but if we try and sit in others shoes, and realize how they express themselves, we can begin to understand how we really are all connected.

    ReplyDelete