Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Language...should it be determined by the situation?

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like you didn't belong?  Have you ever felt like you had something important to say but didn't know how to say it?  Have you ever put your "foot in your mouth" because you didn't understand the context of a conversation?  For me, the answer to all three of these questions is YES. 

In the article "Language" by Louis, chevalier de Jaucourt, Jaucourt defines language as "the way in which men communicate their thoughts through a succession of words, gestures and expressions adapted to their character, customs and climate."  Each of us speaks more languages than we probably think.  As I was thinking about the way that I communicate with others, I came to the conclusion that the situation that I am in determines what language I use to communicate.  How well do you communicate? 

As I reflected upon my days activities, I noticed that I express myself differently depending on where I am and who I'm with.  When I'm with my friends, I speak and act one way verses when I'm talking with one of my professors.  When I'm playing sports or at a sporting event, my language changes.  If I'm at church or institute, my language changes.  I found that often times I communicate without saying a word.  The way we walk, stand, sit, use our hands, and create other gestures is also a form of communication. 

When we take a moment to observe our surroundings and try to understand the situation that we are in, we can better prepare for which mode of communication is most appropriate.  Do you think there will ever be a universal language that can be used in every situation?

3 comments:

  1. Well, the language we use sends a message. Since we naturally want to send different messages depending on the situation, I suspect that we'll never develop a universal language in the way I understand that you're describing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is a universal language for every situation, but I do think there is someone that can understand all of your languages. It is interesting how much unwritten rules form our everyday life. Perhaps those awkward comments come simply when we don't obey them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. language is funny that way. it'd be interesting to know if these social-linguistic norms exist across different cultures. Is there something innate in us that some of us are born with (certainly not I) that tells us when to keep our mouths shut and when to emit a witty statement? or do we learn to pick up social cues and how? Can you effectively teach someone what these social cues are?

    ReplyDelete