Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cracking Open the Shell

The following are some thoughts that came to mind during our discussion of modernism in my digital civilization class this morning:
  1. I struggle with modernism because with experimentation of new ideas and breaking away from what is rational, there is a disruption of the past (sometimes more logical) ways to approach life.  
  2. Modernism takes people our of there comfort zone even when it might be a good thing.  I feel that my digital civilization class is a good example of this.  Like I said in my last post, there is a sense of uneasiness with change and I have definitely felt that.  However, I also feel that with change comes growth.  I am being stretched in ways that I wouldn't have imagined (especially with respect to digital technology).  Therefore, even though uncomfortable, change can be good if accepted with an open mind.
  3. Although I still have much to learn, I feel like I understand the general themes of modernism much better than many other historical concepts previously discussed in this class.  I feel that it has a lot to do with the structural manner in which the information was initially presented.  I really enjoyed reading through the power point in Dr. Burton's post on modernism.  There was structure, organization, a logical presentation of facts and ideas.  These Renaissance-like way to introduce the topic of modernism (for me at least) helped increase my understanding of key concepts and facilitated in drawing conclusions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment